Wednesday 18 June 2014

Once again into the Jubble!

So it has been several months since my last post when I was saddened by the beginning of the horrific conflicts occurring in South Sudan and by the feeling of disloyalty at having to be evacuated, leaving behind such an amazing country and so many wonderful people.

Since leaving I have been privileged to spend some quality time with my family and catch up with some fabulous friends, however the time has now come for me to return to the humanitarian effort in South Sudan.

Sitting again at Heathrow terminal 4, I am wondering what the country will have I store for me this time. I know that the experience will be quite different, not only because of the persistence of the conflict and escalating health crises, however this time I am in a completely new role and location.

I am taking up a position to assist in the coordination and communication between health partners involved in the delivery of health services across South Sudan. The role will be attached to the Republic of South Sudan Ministry of Health (RSSMoH) strengthening links between the Government, UN agencies, WHO and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs). It is an incredibly exciting new opportunity and the scope of the work that can be achieved is unquantifiable. 

I will be based in Juba mainly, however there are the opportunities to meet with the health programmes across the country to allow me to gain a better understanding of their position and to fairly represent them.  Being based in the "Jubble" will be a big change from Yei and whilst I am sad not to be returning to the work at the hospital and the wonders that was Yei, I am excited for the  new challenges that living in a city and working with the MoH will bring. 

This time I am nervous for different reasons, not the country, language, culture, I know I already have a group of wonderful friends meeting me for dinner tomorrow night; this time it is the expectation of the role ahead and the desire to do well for the benefit of the people of South Sudan.

So again I say so long, farewell and watch this space......

No comments: